Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Thu May 16, 2013
Fresh Petition Attempt To Save Current KCI
An ad hoc group trying to preserve the current building layout at KCI Airport is trying another tack to halt major changes at the complex.
The “Friends of KCI” will start gathering signatures for an initiative petition.
This effort would let voters decide in November if the plan for a single terminal will proceed.
The last petition attempt by the group was thrown out because it was trying to change a City Council resolution.
Spokesman for the group, John Murphy, said it will take getting 3,500 signatures to put the questions on a ballot and it has to be done by next month.
The petition, Murphy said, mandates a public referendum before the city begins razing current or construction of new buildings at any public airport in Kansas City.
The city attorney declined comment on the bid.