Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
KCMO City Hall
Thu April 22, 2010
First Small Step For "Schools First" Plan
Kansas City, Mo. – Mayor Mark Funkhouser got a start on his "schools first" initiative Wednesday.
The city council finance and audit committee approved a resolution to designate a School Support and Public Engagement person at City Hall.
That person would be responsible for coordinating with all schools and school districts in the city - for example, to coordinate information on snow removal and school closings and to get the word out on recreational activities the city already offers for young people.
The mayor says a lot is going on that schools and the kids don't know about: "What I see over and over is how fragmented we are. There's lots of good stuff going on, but it is disconnected. And this is a way to use city government as a centraal connecting point for lots of different groups."
The resolution does not provide additional funding for the services. It goes next to the full council.
Several council members that support it say the communication plan won't be fully effective unless it expands into a regional effort.