Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Fri February 19, 2010
Fire Shortens Work Week For Federal Employees
Kansas City, M0. – As many as 25 hundred people fled the main federal office building in downtown Kansas City this afternoon. Fire in a basement electrical system produced acrid smoke.
Firefighters attacked the fire for half an hour with CO2 extinguishers as occupants of the Bolling Office Building used stairways to get out. Fire Marshal Floyd Peoples said no one was seriously hurt, although some complained of difficulty breathing.
The building was closed for business the rest of the day.
And there were residual problems. The phone systems to the federal courthouse at the north end of the business district are routed through the fire building. And many phones didn't work at the courthouse. The Bolling Building is expected to be open by Monday.