Most Active Stories
Tue June 12, 2012
Father & Son Photographs
It was playwright Arthur Miller who said that a man's masterpiece is his son. How can you capture that relationship in a photograph?
Ahead of Father’s Day, join us as we examine a new exhibit at the Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center called “Legacy: Father and Sons." Plus, hear what goes into a great Father's Day card, and what's popular for Dad this year.
SEE THE EXHIBIT:
The show "Legacy: Father and Sons" is up at the Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center, 3700 Blue Parkway, through September 8th. The center is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Admission is free.
FATHER'S DAY CARD FACTS:
- Father’s Day is the fourth-largest card-sending holiday in the United States, with 94 million cards exchanged annually.
- 50 percent of all Father’s Day cards are purchased for dads. Nearly 15 percent of Father’s Day cards are purchased for husbands. Other categories include grandfathers, sons, brothers, uncles, and someone special.
- Two top-selling kinds of cards are “Dad from Daughter” and cards from a couple or family group: “Dad From Both” and “Our Wish.”
- Humor cards account for about 30 percent of Father’s Day sales.
- Hallmark has been producing Father’s Day cards since the early 1920s.