Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Sun March 1, 2009
Fat Tuesday Starts Early in Kansas City
The Top of the Bottoms Social Aide Pleasure Society's Dirty Force Brass Knuckle Street Band and Soul Revue, or simply Dirty Force, has gained a reputation for arriving unannounced. But each year on Mardi Gras, the New Orleans-style brass band gathers on Kansas City's West Side to mark the festivities with an early morning march.
By Laura Spencer
Kansas City, MO – Revelers will be out in full force Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at Mardi Gras celebrations, including the 18th Street Mardi Gras parade from the Crossroads, at 18th and Wyandotte, to 18th and Vine, 6 - 9 pm, in Kansas City, Missouri.
Listen here to the February 23, 2009 Walt Bodine Show about Kansas City's Mardi Gras traditions.
Download recent arts stories or subscribe to the KCUR Arts Podcast
Watch a slideshow with sounds from the march