Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Tue November 3, 2009
The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power
In the book The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power, author Jeff Sharlet examines the power wielded by a secretive Christian group known as the Family, or the Fellowship.
By Up to Date, Nov 3, 2009
Jeff Sharlet, New York Times bestselling author of The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power (Harper, 2008) and a contributing editor for Harper's and Rolling Stone, has been writing about the intersection of religion, politics, and culture for more than a decade.
Sharlet's most recent work delves into how fundamentalism came to be interwoven with American power. Sharlet examined how a small group of sophisticated elites influenced the New Deal, the Cold War, and the economics of globalization. According to Sharlet we shouldn't be asking "what do fundamentalists want?" but rather "what have they already done?"