Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Tue November 3, 2009
The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power
In the book The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power, author Jeff Sharlet examines the power wielded by a secretive Christian group known as the Family, or the Fellowship.
By Up to Date, Nov 3, 2009
Jeff Sharlet, New York Times bestselling author of The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power (Harper, 2008) and a contributing editor for Harper's and Rolling Stone, has been writing about the intersection of religion, politics, and culture for more than a decade.
Sharlet's most recent work delves into how fundamentalism came to be interwoven with American power. Sharlet examined how a small group of sophisticated elites influenced the New Deal, the Cold War, and the economics of globalization. According to Sharlet we shouldn't be asking "what do fundamentalists want?" but rather "what have they already done?"