Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Tue December 28, 2010
Down Decade for KC Jobs
Kansas City, Mo. – The Kansas City region is 40th worst in one aspect of the top hundred job markets over the last decade. A New York study of the last ten years shows the local market dropped 23 thousand factory jobs.
As a yardstick, the top hundred markets lost nearly 3 and a half million manufacturing jobs over the last ten years.
The most severe loss was Los Angeles, twelve times worse than Kansas City region.
The shining example of the positive was also in California, Bakersfield, the only major city to add manufacturing jobs. The data appears in research for the publication "Buffalo Business First."
The 23 thousand factory jobs loss for Kansas City represents a drop of almost 25 percent. Nowhere near the six figure declines seen in cities such as Chicago, New York and Boston.