Most Active Stories
- Hobby Lobby Ruling A Win For Kansas City Construction Company
- The Story Behind Kansas City's House Of Cards
- Neighborhoods In Kansas City's Historic Northeast Move Beyond City Ordinance
- Missouri And Kansas Among Worst States For New Parents
- Johnson County Ranked One Of The 'Easiest' Places To Live In U.S.
Mon August 10, 2009
Don't Quit Your Day Job: Santiago Vazquez
The phrase: "Don't Quit Your Day Job" is usually an insult. Like if someone sings badly, they're told "Don't Quit Your Day Job." But it's funny, often for an artist, it's the day job that provides the inspiration, material, or even just a structured schedule for their art. One Kansas City Police officer honed his acting skills working as an undercover cop.
By Sylvia Maria Gross
Kansas City, MO – Today on KCUR's "Don't Quit Your Day Job," we remember an interview KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross did several years ago about a Kansas City police officer. Santiago Vazquez developed some of his acting skills as an undercover cop. And when Sylvia spoke to him in January of 2006, he had just released a short film called First Date, in which he played a sexual predator. That movie was screened at Sundance.
Since then, Vazquez went back to Sundance with another film, called The Grass Grows Green. He's now working on several short films as a writer, director and actor.