Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Thu February 4, 2010
Dancers in Pilobolus with Ties to Lawrence and Kansas City
Pilobolus Dance Theater was founded in the early 1970s by non-dancers who met in a Dartmouth dance class. Their first gig: the opening act for a Frank Zappa concert.
By Laura Spencer
Kansas City, MO – The troupe of acrobatic dancers has become widely known, in recent years, through commercials and appearances at the Oscars, for their intricate human pile-ups playing with illusion and reality. Two members of the group have local ties: Jun Kuribayashi (who grew up in Lawrence), and Winston Dynamite Brown (who grew up in Kansas City).
Pilobolus will perform a program in six pieces, including Redline, Gnomen, Walklyndon, Dog?id, Rushes and the world premiere of Hitched.
Download recent arts stories or subscribe to the KCUR Arts Podcast