Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Wed January 25, 2012
Computer Guys: Who Controls the Net?
Last Wednesday, you might have headed to Wikipedia to look up Marlon Brando, the currency in Guam, or (random Wikipedia page). We’re not gonna ask. But, that Wednesday, visitors found a blackout protest, asking them to to imagine a world without free knowledge. Think of all the term papers that stalled, and trivia contest cheaters who were derailed that day. An estimated 160 million people saw the page that day, according to Wikipedia.
Then, in the news the next day, a file sharing website called Megaupload was shut down by the US Department of Justice, and the online hacktivists retaliated, shutting down the websites of everyone from the Recording Industry Association to the FBI. It’s all about the same question – the question of the century – who controls the Internet?
Google’s high-speed gamble in KC (KC Star)
Will our plugged-in planet have a green or black future? (KC Star)
Business & Tech