In Russia, a worm called Koobface wiggled away with millions of dollars using social networks like Facebook.
The creators of the world are tattooed software geeks called the Koobface gang. Their program would tempt users with a sexy or funny video. When the user clicked, a pop-up window would inform you that you need to update your computer's flash software. By the time the download is done, your PC would then become one of the estimated 800,000 strong koobface army.
NOTE: Due to a computer glitch (unrelated to today's show topic!) the archive of this show is not available.
On this Monday's Central Standard, a look at cyber thieves. How are big companies hacked? How are cyber criminals found and prosecuted? And what can we do to better protect our personal data?
ANTI-VIRUS (& MORE!) SOFTWARE RECOMMENDATIONS from GEORGE:
The Big Freebies (You May Need 'Em All):
- Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition, prevents ad popup windows
- AVG AntiVirus
- Microsoft AntiSpyware beta
- Spybot Search & Destroy, prevents trojans, spyware, etc.
- SpyWare Blaster
Free Legitimate Online Checks for your PC:
- Port Scan + Spam Test by Shields Up)
- Spyware Scan, select Win Home tab to find Free IC Spyware Scanner download
- Firewall Scan, select Downloads, then Security Check; see report for more detailed info
- Checkup for PCs only
For Macs, try these: