Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Thu May 19, 2011
Committee Advances Bannister Area Plan
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The stalled project to revive the Bannister Mall area started moving again Thursday, with the vote of a city council committee.
Trails Properties 2 presented a new version of plans for the defunct shopping mall to replace the plan that would have included a stadium for what is now Sporting Kansas City. The soccer team ended up in Kansas City, Kansas.
But councilman John Sharp told his colleagues that he likes the new plan more attractive and more realistic than the old one because it is more focused on a true mixed development. Sharp said he felt the plan that went dormant in 2009 was too heavy on retail space.
The new plan does include retail - to be developed by partner Lane4.
he developers say they will need help with the project's estimated cost of $590 million. The Plans, Zoning and Economic Development Committee was okay with that, recommending that the council approve the TIF revision.