Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Wed September 12, 2012
City Officials Call Special Session To Discuss Controversial Statue
The Overland Park City Council called an extra meeting for Wednesday night. On the agenda: an executive session to discuss legal issues around controversial statuary at the city’s Arboretum and Botanical Gardens.
A statue, called “Accept or Reject” by artist Yu Chang, shows a headless woman with exposed breasts, taking a photo of herself. In May, Stilwell, Kansas resident, Joanne Hughes, viewed the work as promoting "sexting" and started a petition to ask city officials to remove it; she teamed up with the American Family Association, and they submitted 4700 signatures on a petition to the county clerk last week.
Election Commissioner Brian Newby confirmed today that enough signatures were verified on the petition, which called for a grand jury investigation. Johnson County now has 60 days to appoint a jury to decide if the city is promoting obscenity to minors.