Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon April 12, 2010
Census Bureau to Count Same-Sex Partners As Married
Kansas City, Mo. – Gay and lesbian couples who consider themselves married, whether they legally are married or not,will be counted that way in the current census. That marks a shift from previous years.
In the last census, some 600,000 same sex couples check the married box, but when the data was reported, they were deemed unmarried partners. Gay rights groups lobbied Congress to change that in the current census.
Maria Carter spoke with Edward San Filippo from the US Census bureau about the changes in 2010 Census.