Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Sun July 6, 2008
Bluesman Robert Cray
Purists sometimes criticize Cray's brand of the blues as "too commercialized." His fans say it's fresh and contemporary approach. KCUR's Susan Wilson asked Robert Cray about that recently, when he was in town for the Rhythm and Ribs festival.
By Susan B. Wilson
Kansas City, MO – Ever since the album Strong Persuader went double platinum in 1986, Robert Cray has continued to make his mark on the blues scene. Cray interprets the blues with a soulful, soaring tenor and stirring Fender Stratocaster guitar licks. His lyrics go well beyond the genre's typical stories that focus on hard luck and cheating women. Instead, they explore a complex range of human experience and emotion.