Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- New President And CEO For The National World War I Museum
Wed December 10, 2008
Behind the Scenes in the Costume Shop of The Nutcracker
Richard Nixon was president when the Kansas City Ballet premiered its production of The Nutcracker, set to the music of Tchaikovsky. For thirty-six years running, audiences have been so swept up in the music and the movement that other crucial elements of the piece tend to get overlooked, and what would The Nutcracker be without its extravagant costumes?
By Steve Walker
Kansas City, MO – KCUR's Steve Walker recently attended a costume fitting and found that the show's wardrobe requires the intricate attention of a nuclear submarine.
Kansas City Ballet's The Nutcracker
December 6-28, 2008
Download recent arts stories or subscribe to the KCUR Arts Podcast