Most Active Stories
- Historians Recommend The Best 20 Books About Kansas City
- Report: Medicaid Expansion In Missouri Would Yield Up to $100M In Annual Savings
- First-Ever National Coal Ash Regs Disappoint Missouri Environmentalists
- School Closings In The Kansas City Metro For January 7
- LISTEN: Kansas City Poet Stanley Banks On Driving While Black
Thu May 21, 2009
Avenue of the Arts Turns 10
It's the 10th anniversary of Avenue of the Arts, a temporary display of public artwork along Central in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. Each year, the artists receive $5000 to make their artwork, display it, and then they get to keep it.
By Laura Spencer
Kansas City, MO – Avenue of the Arts has sparked some controversy over the years, with oversized underwear flapping on a clothesline, and a mechanical minstrel show. To mark the anniversary, this year's exhibition includes 10 works - and a few artists returning from previous years. KCUR's Laura Spencer reports.
2009 Opening Reception at the Folly Theater
May 21, 2009, 4:30 - 6:30 pm