Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon July 13, 2009
Artists Remember Painting Argentine Mural
In August, it will be eleven years since a 220-yard mural went up on Metropolitan Avenue in Kansas City Kansas. The mural spans the history of the Argentine neighborhood, from pre-history to the future.
By Sylvia Maria Gross
Kansas City, MO – The artists who collaborated on the project were from Kansas City and Mexico. And for several of them, painting the mural was a turning point in their lives.
KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross talked to Virginia Oropeza, who ended up moving to Kansas City from Tangancicuaro, Mexico, and Jose Faus and Alisha Gambino, who went on to paint many murals in the Kansas City area.
The artistic director of the project, Jesus Ortiz, now lives in Mexico.