Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Fri July 23, 2010
Kansas City based Alaturka plays a fusion of American jazz and Turkish classical music
By Up to Date
Alaturka was formed in 2009 with the vision of creating an equal "auditory handshake" between two musical cultures - American jazz and Turkish classical music.
Founder and director Beau Bledsoe joined with Istanbul darbuka virtuoso Sait Arat and two of Kansas City's most acclaimed jazz musicians, Rich Wheeler and Jeff Harshbarger, to form a quartet in which both cultures are treated with equal respect.
The collaboration has resulted in an intriguing new sound that has garnered the ensemble multiple invitations to perform throughout the U.S. and abroad.
Up to Date welcomed Alaturka to the studio for a discussion about their passion for music and a special live performance.
Alaturka CD Release Event
Sunday, July 25, 8 pm
4536 Main Street