Most Active Stories
- Portraits And Party Scenes From Kansas City's Drag Ball Culture Revealed
- Blue Valley High Lost A 'Star In The Making'
- Music In The '90s: Was There A 'KC Sound'?
- Preschool Trauma Program In Kansas City Getting National Attention
- Kansas City Grocer's Hand-Painted Signs Are A Lost Art In The Modern Age
Fri July 23, 2010
Kansas City based Alaturka plays a fusion of American jazz and Turkish classical music
By Up to Date
Alaturka was formed in 2009 with the vision of creating an equal "auditory handshake" between two musical cultures - American jazz and Turkish classical music.
Founder and director Beau Bledsoe joined with Istanbul darbuka virtuoso Sait Arat and two of Kansas City's most acclaimed jazz musicians, Rich Wheeler and Jeff Harshbarger, to form a quartet in which both cultures are treated with equal respect.
The collaboration has resulted in an intriguing new sound that has garnered the ensemble multiple invitations to perform throughout the U.S. and abroad.
Up to Date welcomed Alaturka to the studio for a discussion about their passion for music and a special live performance.
Alaturka CD Release Event
Sunday, July 25, 8 pm
4536 Main Street