Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon June 27, 2005
Ailey Camper: Memory Brown Audio Diary 1
The Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey began its 17th summer camp recently. In the first of three parts, we'll talk to Ailey Camper Memory Brown. Brown is 14 years old and lives with her grandmother. She was ecstatic when she got accepted to Ailey camp.
By Laura Ziegler
Kansas City, Missouri – The Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey began its 17th summer camp recently.
The program is an intensive 6 weeks of dance (ballet, modern, and tap) as well as classes in personal development, creative writing, and art. It sponsors almost 200 students now in programs both in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas, and has become increasingly competitive. It's been replicated in several cities across the country. Over the years, Ailey camp has made an important difference in the lives of hundreds of young people.
Memory Brown is 14 years old and lives with her grandmother. She was ecstatic when she got accepted to Ailey camp. We'll hear from her again mid-way through experience, and at the end.