Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Tue June 2, 2009
Activist Clay Chastain Gathers Petition Signatures In Kansas City
Kansas City, MO – Clay Chastain was back in Kansas City over the weekend, collecting petition signatures in Brookside. And this time he wants to amend the City Charter. KCUR's Steve Bell reports.
The activist says he is circulating petitions on two issues. One is the latest revision of his long-running push to create a light rail system in Kansas City. The other would end the right of the city council to repeal voter-approved initiatives - as they did when his light rail plan passed three years ago.
Chastain claims that after two days of personally seeking signatures he is already 1/8 of the way there. "I had 500 signatures for the green transit system and I had 495 signatures to amend the charter and rescind that provision that lets the city council repeal the vote," says Chastain.
Chastain's latest plan would run from the Kansas City Zoo to Vivion and North Oak, and includes a mall wind farm at Riverfront Park to help provide the electricity to run the system. Steve Bell, KCUR News.