Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Tue June 2, 2009
Activist Clay Chastain Gathers Petition Signatures In Kansas City
Kansas City, MO – Clay Chastain was back in Kansas City over the weekend, collecting petition signatures in Brookside. And this time he wants to amend the City Charter. KCUR's Steve Bell reports.
The activist says he is circulating petitions on two issues. One is the latest revision of his long-running push to create a light rail system in Kansas City. The other would end the right of the city council to repeal voter-approved initiatives - as they did when his light rail plan passed three years ago.
Chastain claims that after two days of personally seeking signatures he is already 1/8 of the way there. "I had 500 signatures for the green transit system and I had 495 signatures to amend the charter and rescind that provision that lets the city council repeal the vote," says Chastain.
Chastain's latest plan would run from the Kansas City Zoo to Vivion and North Oak, and includes a mall wind farm at Riverfront Park to help provide the electricity to run the system. Steve Bell, KCUR News.