Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Fri June 12, 2009
63rd & Prospect Shopping Center Plan Revived
Kansas City, MO – The proposed Citadel Plaza shopping center at 63rd and Prospect did not die with the light rail plan that featured it as the southern terminus. A new lead developer gave a progress report to a city council committee Thursday.
Developer Steve Block says the legal and tax questions are out of the way and he has an anchor tenant. Block said he has brought "significant capital" to the project, and as early as next Thursday will ask the council for $20 million worth of backing to purchase land and finalize planning efforts.
He also says the plan would put an end to the nearby Metro Shopping Center. Block says that facility, as well as the Landing further west, "have seen better days" and the land could be put to better use.
The council gave no commitment. Finance chair Deb Hermann wants assurance backing the project won't affect the city's credit rating.