Wednesday was Joe Reardon’s last day in office.
The popular, 2-term head of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas says there were many things he was proud of accomplishing, and a few things he regretted not getting done.
Here are the things he was most proud of:
- Overseeing the continued development of the West Village area, including landing employers like Cerner and iconic retailers.
- Spurring economic activity from the Sporting soccer franchise.
- The 18th Street and I-70 development, anchored by Sun Fresh Grocery
- The massive infrastructure project to re-do the county's sidewalks and trails.
- Better partnerships between law enforcement and neighborhood groups, which Reardon credits for lower crime rates.
The Mayor said one of his biggest regrets is that he wasn't able to do more to boost the health of the citizens in the county. Wyandotte County still has among the lowest ranking in the health of its citizens.
Reardon also said the area has to do a better job of communicating it's rich history and culture.