Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Cops & Crime
Wed August 20, 2008
$10 Million Settlement In Clergy Sex Abuse Case
A tentative settlement has been reached between 47 men and the Kansas City-St. Joseph Catholic diocese. Lawyers for plaintiffs say the diocese will pay $10 million. And money is not the key.
After months of negotiations the settlement began taking form late yesterday. Some of the charges date back four and five decades. Plaintiffs' attorney Patrick Noaker says the chief goal was reform.
"Their children should not face the same risks that they faced and the same hazards that they faced when they went to church," Noaker said. "And these are geared toward changing the way the church runs their business to protect children."
Attorneys say the settlement would end all current claims against the diocese and should be signed by Thursday. Provisions include a public admission that molestations occurred.