KCUR is seeking a full-time producer for a weekday talk show, Up To Date, which explores subjects and personalities that make up the news, public policy, social and cultural fabric of our community.
The assistant producer will work closely with the host and production team to formulate show ideas and concepts, research shows, screen and book guests, write web posts, and manage digital and social content for the show. The producer will assist with live production of the show.
This person will have an enthusiastic and collaborative approach to producing a talk show. He or she must have the ability to remain calm during the demands of live radio production; to work on diverse projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment; and to take direction and work collaboratively with various personalities.
KCUR 89.3 is the NPR affiliate in Kansas City and is an editorially-independent community service of the University of Missouri-Kansas City. See www.kcur.org/jobs for information about KCUR and Kansas City.
- Assist in the production of a daily radio talk show, including directing, screening calls, and managing digital and social media during the show.
- Contribute show-related content to KCUR’s digital and social media platforms, including audio, text, extended interviews, photos, etc.
- Report on and write extended web posts related to show content.
- Research and pitch show topics during weekly editorial meetings.
- Contact, screen, and book guests.
- Provide host with background research and interview questions.
- Work with host to create audio and text billboards and promos for the show.
- Participate in all assigned fund-raising and community engagement activities, on air and off.
- Collaborate on projects with other KCUR talk shows and the news department.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related field required; or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, and at least two years of experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- One year of work experience in a radio, news, or public media organization.
- Experience operating a variety of broadcast equipment including audio boards, digital editing systems (e.g. Adobe Audition), field recording units, and other production equipment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and good news judgment.
- Ability and willingness to work a varied schedule.
- Experience producing content for digital and social platforms.
This position reports to the Producer for Up To Date.
This position is non-exempt and starts at $16.92 an hour, equaling $35,193 annually.
HOW TO APPLY
Review of applications will begin on March 26, 2017. Apply online: www.umkc.edu/jobs. Applicants must combine all materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call 855-524-0002.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
UMKC is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. Equal opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor – Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Affirmative Action at 816-235-1323.