natural gas

Government
5:05 pm
Fri April 26, 2013

Kansas City Buses Will Say Goodbye To Diesel

Councilman Dick Davis once managed the bus transit service. He now weighs-in on full conversion to natural gas fuel.
Credit KCCG

The Kansas City Area Transportation Authority , or ATA, is phasing itself out of the diesel bus business.

Read more
Fire
2:46 pm
Wed February 20, 2013

Blame Elusive In Plaza Blast

KC Mayor Sly James and Fire Chief Paul Berardi. 'Today is about people, not blame.'
Frank Morris KCUR

Workers using heavy equipment to install fiber-optic cable hit a gas main hours before the blast.   According to the Kansas City Business Journal, gas company workers showed up about 20 minutes later.

They were still on site later when firefighters responded to the leak, about 45 minutes before the explosion. 

Read more
Fire
10:44 am
Wed February 20, 2013

Body Found In Rubble At JJ's

Mayor Sly James tweeted this aerial view of JJ's site from the bucket of truck 6.
Mayor Sly James

At a press conference this morning, officials say they found a body in the rubble of the site of former JJ's restaurant on the Country Club Plaza. No positive identification has been made yet.

Read more
Fire
10:04 am
Wed February 20, 2013

Search Continues For Missing JJ's Employee

Search continues for missing employee at JJ's restaurant.
Laura Spencer KCUR

One person still remains unaccounted for after last night's fire and explosion at JJ's restaurant on the Country Club Plaza.

Read more
Cops & Crime
9:42 am
Wed February 20, 2013

Explosion At JJ's Thundered Through Plaza

Fire fighters, police, and ambulances outside of JJ's restaurant.
Dan Verbeck KCUR

At least one explosion thundered through the west edge of the County Club Plaza district  just after 6 p.m. Tuesday, sending more than a dozen people to hospitals. Some are critically injured. There was ample evidence pointing to natural gas as cause.

Read more
Fire
7:05 pm
Tue February 19, 2013

Fire Hits Plaza Business

TV-9 cameras capture a Kansas City fire truck silhouetted by the intense flames that destroyed a building near the Country Club Plaza
KMBC, TV-9 News

A fire caused by an apparent gas explosion near JJ's Restaurant on the Country Club Plaza has sent at least 14 people to area hospitals with injuries, some of them critical. The fire started around 6:00 Tuesday evening.  

Update 7:07 PM.  Residents from a nearby apartment building were evacuated.  Some are reporting that there was a strong smell of gas earlier in the afternoon. One resident of the nearby building also told reporters someone was operating a backhoe in the area earlier in the afternoon. 

Read more