Most Active Stories
- Hobby Lobby Ruling A Win For Kansas City Construction Company
- The Story Behind Kansas City's House Of Cards
- Johnson County Ranked One Of The 'Easiest' Places To Live In U.S.
- Neighborhoods In Kansas City's Historic Northeast Move Beyond City Ordinance
- Missouri And Kansas Among Worst States For New Parents
Thu August 18, 2011
Youth Curfew Plan Fading
By Steve Bell
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – After three young people were wounded by gunfire last Saturday night, Mayor Sly James said a plan would be finalized this week - possibly a 9 PM citywide youth curfew.
But Deputy Police Chief Cy Ritter told the public safety committee Wednesday that so far the action plan is an increased and very visible police presence.
Ritter added, "This plan worked very well last time and we think that this plan is going to work again. We're very confident."
Ritter says the police will enforce an earlier curfew if the council enacts one, but he says it would require even more personnel and might slow response times in other areas.
Some community leaders also questioned how to enforce a 9PM citywide curfew when many high school football games and early movies don't end until after nine.