What is Global Entrepreneurship Week?
It’s a mash-up of dozens of classes, speakers, workshops and competitions that extend through Saturday in Kansas City. Other cities across the U.S. and 139 different countries also are sponsoring a Global Entrepreneurship Week to celebrate innovators and startups.
Some of the highlights from the week in Kansas City:
- Xerox Lecture Series with Shark Tank’s Barbara Corcoran at the Folly Theater
- Demo Day Keynote Luncheon: Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup by Bill Aulet, of MIT’s Martin Turst Center for Entrepreneurship
- Reverse Pitch: Kansas City corporations pitch ideas to entrepreneurs
- Eastern Jack Retail Pitch On! Entrepreneurs from Eastern Jackson County will pitch business plans to investors. It’s a celebration of recent retail growth in that part of the metro
The Kauffman Foundation helped found Global Entrepreneural Week and sponsor many events.
Kauffman initiated 1 Million Cups, the entrepreneur’s love-fest that draws hundreds to the Foundation every Wednesday morning at 9 a.m. to share ideas.
To help you decide if you want to attend any of the sessions, here’s a glossary of some of the entrepreneurial lingo:
- Pitch: the presentation an individual or group will make to explain an idea and solicit investors. Owners or founders of a company telling a group of potential investors why they should put money into their company
- Startup: a company that has gone thru all registration, licensing, and permitting but are not yet established. A potentially unsustainable business looking for support.sustainable.
- Seed Funding : The initial capital investment startups are looking for to get off the ground
- KC Startup Village: a community of entrepreneurial enthusiasts who’ve located in the “fiberhood,” or neighborhood surrounding the new Google Fiber offices at 45th and State Line.
- Business Incubator: programs established by a government, school, or group of businesses to help new, small companies survive. An incubator may provide office space and services, consulting and mentoring, contacts.
For more information and a schedule of events on Global Entrepreneurship Week :