Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Up To Date
Mon February 10, 2014
Yakov Smirnoff: Comedy And A Russian View On Sochi
In America, you try to get to Olympics. In Russia, Olympics come and get you. Or at least, that's the way Russian comedian and Branson sensation Yakov Smirnoff might say it.
In the second part of Monday's Up to Date, Smirnoff joins Steve Kraske to talk about Sochi, comedy and more.
- Yakov Smirnoff, comedian
Yakov Smirnoff on Sochi:
- On the location: "Sochi is the weirdest choice to have Olympics, because it's like the warmest part of Russia. It's like having Winter Olympics in Miami ... I was concerned that the ski jump will be different there-- the skier will be pulled by a boat."
- On hotel room problems: "It's not really the standard of the American customer. There is no curtains in the windows, there is no curtains in the shower. I guess when the Iron Curtain came down, all the curtains came down."
- On food: "They tried to bring Taco Bell, but Russian government didn't like the slogan, 'Run for the border.'"
- On computer security: "Here, you call it hacking. In Russia, you call it room service."
Up to Date