Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Tue August 16, 2011
'Xanadu' Rolls into Starlight
Though movies made from Broadway musicals have seen a resurgence since the success of "Chicago," the current trend is to go in the opposite direction. There are presently 7 musicals on Broadway based on popular movies, with several more on the way. Playing Starlight Theatre this week is the musical "Xanadu," whose success in New York made it an exception to all the rules - and that's because its source is considered one of the worst movies ever made.
By Steve Walker
Kansas City, Mo. – The creators of the 1980 movie "Xanadu" were banking on the blending of musical legend Gene Kelly, pop sensation Olivia Newton-John and roller disco to make a movie for the ages.
And they did, in a way.
"Xanadu" was so universally panned, it inspired the very first Razzie Awards for bad cinema. Yet the soundtrack featuring Newton-John and Electric Light Orchestra was a hit and certified double platinum.
Perhaps it was those contradictions that sparked its second life as a musical for the stage, and the 2007 Broadway production ran for more than 500 performances.
August 15 - 21, 2011
photos: Steve Walker/KCUR