Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Thu November 18, 2010
The Wizards Sport a New Name
Kansas City, MO – The wizards soccer team has waved a marketer's special re-branding wand and done away with their name. Instead of the wizards, they will now be called Sporting Kansas City.
Sporting Club COO Greg Cotton explains that the nickname for Sporting Kansas City will be "Sporting."
In addition to the new name, Sporting's done away with their dragon mascot. While there are currently no plans for what will replace the dragon, Sporting has a new logo that will appear on the team's T-shirts and bumper stickers. The shield has a subtle reference to the state-line divide and no more rainbow colors.
You can hear an extended interview between Greg Cotton and KCUR's Jabulani Leffall on the Central Standard Blog