Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Thu August 5, 2010
Witness To Murder At Three Feet
A woman was shot to death in an Olathe driveway this afternoon and an eyewitness describes it as a premeditated crime. Police later arrested the victim's estranged husband.
A contentious relationship ended with a gunshot in the 400 block of East Spruce. The woman who was killed had gone to her former partner's house to retrieve belongings.
The pair was described as arguing loudly. Eric Snyder describes being three feet away when the man reached into a truck parked in the drive.
Snyder seemed in shock telling the story--"That's when he grabbed the gun. Evidently it was in the back of the truck, I assume, and pulled it out. Pointed it. Pulled the trigger. It didn't go off. He cocked it then and pulled the trigger again. By this time she was running back to the truck "
Snyder said it was enough horror to last him a lifetime.
The bullet hit the woman in the head and she died in the driveway. Police arrested 39 year old Jerry R. Hayes a few hours later.