Most Active Stories
Up To Date
Mon August 4, 2014
What Makes A Winner At The Missouri And Kansas State Fairs
The Missouri State Fair starts in Sedalia this Thursday, and the Kansas State Fair is close behind, opening on September 5th. In addition to giant funnel cakes and whirling carnival rides, the State Fairs have a more serious side: competition. On Monday's Up to Date, host Steve Kraske speaks with past and present state fair champions to find out what brings them back year after for that blue ribbon. What are the secrets to a prize-winning dessert, how can auctioneers talk so fast, and how do you out fiddle a fiddler?
- Justin Schultis is the current Kansas Auctioneer Champion and work for the family business, Schultis & Son Inc., which provides real-estate and auction services.
- Lorin Fahrmeier holds the first-place state fair ribbon for the “Cooking with Missouri Wines” dessert contest and is co-owner of Fahrmeier Family Vineyards and Winery.
- Brad Shores is the director of instrumental music at Haven High School.
- Kyle Buller has been a multiple Kansas State Fair Arm Wrestling Champion. He competes with two men supporting him as he is confined to a wheelchair.
- Junior Marriot has won first place at the Missouri State Fair Fiddling Championships for over 10 years. He and his wife own and operate Marriot Music in Ava, Missouri.