Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Sun September 21, 2008
Web Extra: Interview With Richard Gist, Creator Of 9-1-1 Assistance Program
Kansas City, MO – Richard Gist is Principal Assistant to the Director of the Kansas City Missouri Fire Department. He developed the Citizen Assist Program, which is a joint project between the KCMO Fire Department and the Visiting Nurse Association.
It helps people who call 9-1-1 connect with various social and medical services, and Gist says it's the only program in the country to provide such services through referrals from a city's emergency response system.
Dr. Gist recently sat down with KCUR's Elana Gordon to talk about the program and about how his understanding of the role of 9-1-1 services has changed since the program first started up two years ago.
Funding for health care coverage on KCUR has been provided by the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City.
Download recent health stories or subscribe to the KCUR Health Podcast">KCUR Health Podcast