Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Contentious Views Dominate Female Bishop's Tenure
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
Sun January 11, 2009
Watercolorist Dean Mitchell Returns to KC
After more than 25 years in Kansas City, painter Dean Mitchell recently left to return to his hometown in Florida. Mitchell is known for his light-infused watercolors of everyday people and worn-down houses.
By Susan B. Wilson
Kansas City, MO – He's been called a "modern-day Vermeer" by the New York Times. But Mitchell says it took him a long time for the art world to look past him, and at his work. He's back in town this weekend for a show at the Faso Gallery of Contemporary Art. That's where he met up with KCUR's Susan Wilson.
Dean Mitchell's paintings are on display at the Faso Gallery of Contemporary Art. The show opens tonight (Friday, January9) from 6 to 8pm, and Mitchell will give a lecture called "Building A Dream" at the gallery Saturday, January 10 at 2pm.