Most Active Stories
- Missouri Creates Unique Medical Classification: Assistant Physician
- What Would A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Mean For Kansas City?
- Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
- Food Critics: The Best Happy Hour In Kansas City
- Here's What You Need To Know About KCPS-Academie Lafayette Plan
Fri October 7, 2011
Walker's Three to See: <i>Vincent Wants to Sea</i>
KCUR's Steve Walker shares his top movie picks of the week.
By Steve Walker
Kansas City, MO – Vincent Wants to Sea: A popular title from last week's Kansas International Film Festival is getting a deserved run of its own at the Rio in Overland Park. This road movie from Germany is about three young adult residents of a psychiatric hospital who steal their psychiatrist's car and escape their confinement via the winding roads of the gorgeous Italian Alps. The title character (extraordinarily played by Florian David Fitz, who also wrote the screenplay) is the son of a political bigwig whose Tourett's syndrome is a huge family embarrassment. He's joined on the journey by a young woman with an deceiving eating disorder and his roommate, a puppy dog of a guy beset with obsessive-compulsive disorder. If it sounds like the set-up to a tasteless joke, it never veers in that direction. The characters are written and played as real people, not punchlines; they're troubled and often funny but never ridiculed or belittled. A lovely, thoughtful film.