Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Fri November 19, 2010
Riverside, MO – Some of the bravest law officers in metro Kansas City have been honored today. They saved lives, in one way or another.
The highest honor is the Gold for Valor. Roger Lane of Independence Police Department rescued a woman and her three children from an overturned burning car. Officer Chad Pickens from Kansas City's department walked into a gun battle leaving a movie, off-duty. He made the arrest without anyone being hurt.
From Blue Springs, Don Rapp, Brandon Claxton and Cody Smith were being sprayed with gunfire , yet wounded and arrested the gunman who later pleaded guilty.
And it was officers Eric Turner and Dean McGinness from Kansas City who encountered a man intent on killing them, fatally wounded him, the whole series caught on dash-cam video.
Dozens of other officers were recognized for selfless, lifesaving work.