Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Mon February 7, 2011
Two KC Candidates Challenge Third
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Two candidates for Kansas City's Third District City Council seat spoke against a third today before petitioning to have Michael Fletcher disqualified to run in the city primary election.
Incumbent Sharon Saunders-Brooks and Jermaine Reed say evidence is clear, displaying court documents in which Fletcher purports to say he is a resident of Long Beach, California.
Saunders- Brooks says the Missouri Attorney General last month argued against moving Fletcher's appeal of a case to California--"in it, Mr. Fletcher argues it is financial and a personal burden for him to travel to Missouri and away from where he and his family reside."
The petition to the City Clerk contends Fletcher does not meet residency requirements to run for City Council.
Fletcher has countered that he only domiciles' in California, and lives and pays taxes in Kansas City. Saunders -Brooks wants the City Clerk to act by Wednesday to disqualify Fletcher.