Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon February 7, 2011
Two KC Candidates Challenge Third
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Two candidates for Kansas City's Third District City Council seat spoke against a third today before petitioning to have Michael Fletcher disqualified to run in the city primary election.
Incumbent Sharon Saunders-Brooks and Jermaine Reed say evidence is clear, displaying court documents in which Fletcher purports to say he is a resident of Long Beach, California.
Saunders- Brooks says the Missouri Attorney General last month argued against moving Fletcher's appeal of a case to California--"in it, Mr. Fletcher argues it is financial and a personal burden for him to travel to Missouri and away from where he and his family reside."
The petition to the City Clerk contends Fletcher does not meet residency requirements to run for City Council.
Fletcher has countered that he only domiciles' in California, and lives and pays taxes in Kansas City. Saunders -Brooks wants the City Clerk to act by Wednesday to disqualify Fletcher.