Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Wed February 18, 2009
Traveling Light with Rolf Potts
Writer Rolf Potts, author of Vagabonding and Marco Polo Didn't Go There, travels the world off the beaten path - and on a shoe string budget.
By The Walt Bodine Show, Feb 18, 3009
Kansas City , Mo. – Rolf Potts has reported from more than fifty countries for the likes of National Geographic Traveler, the New York Times Magazine, Slate.com, Conde Nast Traveler, Outside, The Believer, The Guardian (U.K.), National Public Radio, and the Travel Channel. A veteran travel columnist for the likes of Salon.com and World Hum, his adventures have taken him across six continents, and include piloting a fishing boat 900 miles down the Laotian Mekong, hitchhiking across Eastern Europe, traversing Israel on foot, bicycling across Burma, and driving a Land Rover from Sunnyvale, California to Ushuaia, Argentina.
Walt and Gina talked with Rolf about his adventures in unconventional travel and tips on how long-term travel can be an attainable and exhilarating but sometimes difficult way of life.