Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Tue May 8, 2012
Top Of The Morning News: Tuesday, May 8, 2012
State Senator shuts down debate on veterans’ homes. Action is needed soon to pass a tax plan in Kansas this year. It’s a daily wrap up of headlines from KCUR.
Crowell Shuts Down Missouri Senate
The Missouri Senate has been shut down by one Senator over which version of legislation for veterans’ homes will be adopted. Jason Crowell (R, Cape Girardeau) and several allies tied up the Senate for nearly 12 hours Monday night and are provoking a showdown with Senate leaders. In addition to using a filibuster to block the veterans’ homes bill, Crowell is using several motions to block all bills from being debated. Read more here.
Action Needed Soon On Kansas Tax Plan
Lawmakers are slated to wrap up the 2012 legislative session this week. They’ll need to work fast if they hope to pass a bill cutting income and business taxes. A conference committee has worked out an agreement between bills that passed the two chambers, but that doesn’t guarantee anything will pass the full House or Senate. Find out more here.