Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Tue May 8, 2012
Top Of The Morning News: Tuesday, May 8, 2012
State Senator shuts down debate on veterans’ homes. Action is needed soon to pass a tax plan in Kansas this year. It’s a daily wrap up of headlines from KCUR.
Crowell Shuts Down Missouri Senate
The Missouri Senate has been shut down by one Senator over which version of legislation for veterans’ homes will be adopted. Jason Crowell (R, Cape Girardeau) and several allies tied up the Senate for nearly 12 hours Monday night and are provoking a showdown with Senate leaders. In addition to using a filibuster to block the veterans’ homes bill, Crowell is using several motions to block all bills from being debated. Read more here.
Action Needed Soon On Kansas Tax Plan
Lawmakers are slated to wrap up the 2012 legislative session this week. They’ll need to work fast if they hope to pass a bill cutting income and business taxes. A conference committee has worked out an agreement between bills that passed the two chambers, but that doesn’t guarantee anything will pass the full House or Senate. Find out more here.