Most Active Stories
- What Kansas City's Guilty Pleasures Cost On Both Sides Of The State Line
- St. Joseph Public School Administrator Returns As Stipend Scandal Continues
- Going To Kansas City: Finding More Room To Think, Literally
- NPR, KCUR To Make Changes To Broadcast Clock
- Lawrence Residents Weigh In On Plans For East 9th Street
Mon June 9, 2014
Team USA Departs For World Cup In Brazil
The USA team that will participate in the World Cup soccer tournament departed for Brazil Sunday night.
Kansas City soccer fans will have a watchful eye on this team with two players from Sporting Kansas City on the roster. Seventeen-year-old Ady Barraza, a soccer player at Olathe Northwest High School, was at the Overland Park Soccer complex over the weekend along with other teens trying out for club teams. While trying to map out their own futures, they’re in tune to what will be happening at the World Cup in Brazil.
Barraza is pulling for the USA team, but realistic considering the caliber of teams in its group.
“I don’t see them making it through, especially if Portugal has all its key players and Germany is playing well,” said Barraza. “I don’t see them making it.”
Besides Germany and Portugal, Ghana is the fourth team the USA team will be competing against.
The two Sporting KC players on the team are Graham Zusi and Matt Besler.
Up to Date