Most Active Stories
- Missouri Creates Unique Medical Classification: Assistant Physician
- What Would A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Mean For Kansas City?
- Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
- Food Critics: The Best Happy Hour In Kansas City
- Here's What You Need To Know About KCPS-Academie Lafayette Plan
Mon January 4, 2010
Taking the What Out Of WWW Crime
Kansas City, Mo. – If Kansas City police have their way, the public will be able to venture into a website that is useful rather than merely a clutter of information bits. The site is new as the new year.
To traverse the old site was like a mariner navigating a thousand small islands without a map or compass or a gps. Captain Rich Lockhart wanted a clickable alphabet to open links and pages, as do many college sites. He got it-- "crime reports are a big one. How do I make a police reports are a big one. What patrol division station do I live in? Those are all the big ones. But what we also wanted to do was to tell them, how do you not become a victim of a crime?"
This site is supposed to help the less computer literate, without sacrificing good graphics and features to please the cyber savvy. The old site had no counter to tally 'hits'. The new will assist analysts learning which information and presentations are attractive, popular or instructional.