July is here and with it come picnics, fireworks, and trips to the local swimming hole. As the holiday weekend approaches, families throughout the Kansas City area are seeking relief from the heat at pools, lakes and rivers. But with a series of recent swimming-related accidents in the region, what should you know about summer safety?
On Tuesday's Up to Date we discuss staying safe in and out of the water - whether you're working on your tan or enjoying a dip.
Kathie Edwards' Five Top Water Safety Tips:
- Learn to swim - one set of lessons isn’t enough
- Swim in a supervised area
- Wear a lifejacket - kids and adults
- Watch out for the sun - apply sunscreen
- Know basic safety rules and how you can help someone else
- Kathie Edwards is a Territory Aquatics Specialist for the American Red Cross.
- Ken Kurtis is the owner of Reef Seekers Dive Co. and a forensic consultant to the L.A. County Coroner for scuba fatalities.
- Dr. Jules Lipoff is an assistant professor of clinical dermatology at the University of Pennsylvania.