Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Fri November 22, 2013
Streetcar Expansion Routes Narrowed, Studies Continue
The Kansas City, Mo., city council has approved a report that supports adding another eight to 10 miles of streetcar track to its 2.2 mile starter system over the next decade.
Favored routes are eastward branches along Independence Avenue and the Linwood-31st Street corridor and a southern extension as far as Brookside or Waldo.
Members of the study group say federal grants should fund 50 percent of the cost.
Attorney Doug Stone of the Polsinelli firm studied the funding aspects. He said local taxes and assessments would still have to pay for about half of the estimated cost of more than $500 million.