Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Thu June 5, 2008
Stilwell Stymied:Self Rule Aborted
By Dan Verbeck
Olathe, Ks. – Those who want to incorporate the community of Stilwell are unable to muster a unanimous vote among the Johnson County Commissioners. State law requires unanimity when the land in question is within five miles of an existing city. Many saw the attempted maneuver as a defense mechanism against encroachment by Overland Park. Commissioner Doug Wood tells KCUR, he had to vote No. In his words:
" ..So I was supportive of their trying to maintain their lifestyle. But I found the application for incorporation to pose a greater threat to the orderly development of that part of Johnson county."
Commission chair Annabeth Surbaugh says the proposal might have gotten her backing if the land mass of Stilwell had been smaller, but it was drawn at 22 square miles. Incorporation fails.