Most Active Stories
- Food Critics: The Best Smoked Foods In Kansas City
- 7 Things To Kick Off Fall This Weekend In Kansas City
- Things You May Not Have Known About The Kansas-Missouri State Line
- At Twenty, Kansas City's 'Sky Stations' Are An Artist's 'Once-In-A-Lifetime' Project
- How One Sprint Employee Is Bracing For Expected Layoffs
Mon July 21, 2014
Sporting KC Signs Besler, Zusi For Four More Years
Long term commitment or not? That’s the question with a few of the biggest sports stars in Kansas City.
Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex reports to training camp this week without a contract beyond this season. On the other hand, Sporting Kansas City locked up their two biggest stars for the long haul.
Before Sporting Kansas City took the field in their Saturday match at Livestrong Park against the Los Angeles Galaxy, the announcement came out that Matt Besler and Graham Zusi agreed to four-year extensions with the team.
Both players were considering overseas offers after returning from represent the U.S. in the World Cup tournament. Besler, who grew up in Overland Park, says he shook hands with the team owners secure and confident.
“I knew right away it was the right decision,” he said. “It felt right. I had chills and I knew it was right.”
Sporting is now in first place in the Eastern Conference after defeating the Galaxy, 2-1. Besler and Zusi figure to be key ingredients to shooting for a second straight championship in Major League Soccer.