Most Active Stories
- Portraits And Party Scenes From Kansas City's Drag Ball Culture Revealed
- Blue Valley High Lost A 'Star In The Making'
- Music In The '90s: Was There A 'KC Sound'?
- Preschool Trauma Program In Kansas City Getting National Attention
- Kansas City Grocer's Hand-Painted Signs Are A Lost Art In The Modern Age
Mon May 18, 2009
Spoken Word at the Jazz Museum
This week, the Obamas opened their first White House poetry jam; something that caught the attention of a lot of spoken word poets here in Kansas City. It just so happens that one of the poets chosen to perform at White House will be here on Tuesday, May 19, at the monthly poetry jam at the American Jazz Museum.
By Annie Walsh and Sylvia Maria Gross
Kansas City, MO – A poetry group from Center High School recently dominated the jazz museum's Teen Festival in February, and are on their way to the International Poetry Slam in July in Chicago. KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross recently stopped by a performance at Center High, and heard Vonteay Harrison, with a poem about being born into poetry. And Kristamonique McDonald, her poem is a global wake-up call about the environment.