Most Active Stories
- What Would A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Mean For Kansas City?
- Missouri Creates Unique Medical Classification: Assistant Physician
- Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
- Food Critics: The Best Happy Hour In Kansas City
- Here's What You Need To Know About KCPS-Academie Lafayette Plan
Mon September 14, 2009
Spanish Radio Host Mixes Racy Talk With Health Messages
Kansas City, MO – Mario Canedo is a radio host on the Spanish-language station La Super X, or 1250-AM. His show A La Cama con Canedo, or "to bed with Canedo" is on every weeknight between 9PM and midnight. Listeners might at first tune in for the racy conversation, but Canedo is trying to do much more than that.
The show provides a chance for callers to talk openly and anonymously about love, relationships and other sensitive topics. Canedo grew up in Mexico, and he believes that many Latino cultures can be especially intolerant of open homosexuality. So he also uses the show as a forum for gay issues, including HIV and AIDS awareness.
Canedo is also a prevention specialist on HIV/AIDS for the Good Samaritan Project. And this weekend (September 12, 2009), he organized Orgullo Latino, Kansas City's first Latino Gay Pride event at Hyde Park in midtown.
Mario Canedo recently stopped by our studios to talk to KCUR's Susan Wilson.