Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Wed June 21, 2006
Soccer Fans watch World Cup at Arrowhead
By Sylvia Maria Gross
Kansas City, MO – Three players from the Kansas City Wizards are on the US soccer team that will be battling for its survival in the World Cup this morning. Fans are gathering at the Arrowhead Pavilion for one of this country's largest viewing parties for the international competition. KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross reports.
More than 500 people have showed up for each of the Wizard's previous World Cup gatherings this year at Arrowhead Pavilion. Television screens are set up and breakfast will be available during the game today, which begins at 9. The US team includes 3 Kansas City Wizards - Jimmy Conrad, Eddie Johnson and Josh Wolff, that's more players than any other team in Major League Soccer. None of the three have started yet in this World Cup, but Conrad will likely be a defender in today's game. Johnson is the youngest player on the US team, and was substituted in briefly during the team's first game against the Czech Republic.