Most Active Stories
- Here Are The Prophetic Lyrics To Viral 'Royals' Parody Song
- How The Royals Chose Between Two Of The Coolest Songs Ever
- The Story Behind The 'Royal' Newspaper Every Kansas Citian Will Save
- For Kansas City Veteran And Singer, 'God Bless America' Stirs Up Pride In City, Country
- Rethinking How To Assess Public Transit Needs
Sat January 28, 2012
The Smart Politician's Guide To Avoiding Scandal
Originally published on Fri December 14, 2012 5:06 pm
Politics may be show business for ugly people, but you don't have to be ugly about it yourself.
It's become a cliche to describe the endless series of Republican presidential debates as a reality show. But lately a lot of politicians have been acting as though they were looking to secure a spot on the "now trending" lists of Internet search engines.
The truth is, if you're a politician, you don't have to engage in any kind of wild or outlandish behavior to become the talk of the Internet and cable news. People are already prepared to think the worst of you, so any minor indiscretion is likely to turn you into a laughingstock.
That's why you have to be careful. There are a lot of land mines and social pitfalls you have to avoid.
To spare politicians further embarrassment, we have prepared this list of do's and, mainly, don'ts. The downsides are simply too great.